Lara Logan: '60 Minutes' is 'very sorry'

November 11, 2013 0 Comments

"60 Minutes" correspondent Lara Logan issued an on-air apology Sunday evening for the now-discredited Oct. 27 report inside that Dylan Davies, a protection contractor, reported to have been a observe to the Sept. 11, 2012, attack found on the U.S. consulate inside Benghazi.

"We realized you had been misled plus it had been a mistake to include him inside the report. For which, you are surprisingly sorry," Logan told audience at the finish of the broadcast. "The most crucial thing to each individual at '60 Minutes' is the truth, as well as the truth is: you produced a mistake."

Logan's apology, that echoed remarks she had produced Friday about "CBS This Morning," was an attempt to correct an mistake which has dogged "60 Minutes" plus CBS News for over 2 weeks today. But her apology offered small inside the means of a explanation for the show's mistake, that has become a black mark for a system which has lengthy prided itself found on the level plus thoroughness of its reporting.

(POLITICO op-ed by Marvin Kalb: '60 Minutes' should do more)

To date, Logan plus "60 Minutes" have yet to explain why they didn't adequately vet Davies before airing the interview. They have not explained why they didn't obtain a copy of Davies' interview with all the FBI, inside that he mentioned he wasn't present at the U.S. diplomatic mission found on the evening of the attack.

For numerous journalists, Logan's apology left much to be desired.

"Lara Logan states her source Davies insisted he'd told her same story because he told FBI--but which was a lay. CBS place all its marbles about a liar," Howard Kurtz, the media critic at Fox News, wrote about Twitter.

"Wait, thus Logan is sorry they "included Davies" inside their report? Wasn't he the entire report?" asked Josh Marshall, the editor of Talking Points Memo, the progressive political information website.

"Lara Logan didn't state anything tonight which she didn't absolutely state about CBS about Friday," noted Gabriel Sherman, the NY Magazine staff author.

In his interview with Logan, Davies had reported to have been present throughout the raid found on the diplomatic mission plus to have enjoyed Ambassador Christopher Stevens dead inside the hospital. He furthermore mentioned he scaled the compound’s 12-foot wall throughout the raid plus hit a terrorist with all the butt of his weapon.

(Also about POLITICO: The '60 Minutes' breakdown)

In his account to the FBI, nevertheless, Davies mentioned he wasn't present at the substance till the morning following the attack. That account was consistent with an incident report Davies submitted to his boss, the British-based contractor Blue Mountain, about Sept. 14, 2012, that was obtained by The Washington Post.

On Friday, sources familiar with all the "60 Minutes" report told POLITICO it wasn't till the evening of Thursday, Nov. 7, which "60 Minutes" obtained the official account of occasions which Davies had provided to FBI officials.

The development of CBS’s knowledge of the FBI report is enjoyed inside the changing nature of their reaction to the controversy: On Wednesday,  Logan, the correspondent that interviewed Davies, defended the report. On Thursday evening, “60 Minutes” announced it had “learned of hot info which undercuts the account told to you by Morgan Jones” (Davies’ pseudonym). On Friday, both Logan plus CBS News Chairman Jeff Fager issued full-throated apologies.

That “60 Minutes” may have performed a year’s value of reporting without adequately vetting Davies or getting the FBI’s report was the topic of much hand-wringing over at CBS News about Friday, according to sources which talked with POLITICO. For several, it was additionally proof of the better truth: which “60 Minutes” largest asset — its longstanding standing because the most reliable brands inside tv journalism — could additionally be its biggest liability.

“60 Minutes” exists inside a silo at CBS News, usually by choice, these sources mentioned. Throughout their reporting, Logan as well as the “60 Minutes” team didn't find assistance off their colleagues inside CBS News’s investigative device, many of who are well-sourced with all the FBI.

(Also about POLITICO: '60 Minutes' Benghazi failure invites Dan Instead comparisons)

“The query people are asking is: Did anyone at ‘60 Minutes’ reach out to anyone outside of ‘60 Minutes’ to vet this man. The answer is ‘no,’” 1 source with knowledge of the occasions told POLITICO about Friday.

“Between John Miller, Chris Isham plus Len Tepper we have 3 journalists that have about because superior because sources because you have at the FBI,” 1 source mentioned, referring to members of the CBS News investigative team. “Why weren’t they asked, ‘What does which FBI report state?’”

Over the last year, “60 Minutes” has additionally become freer from CBS News’s editorial oversight. Until the beginning of 2013, the show’s high-profile information packages were overseen with a senior network vice president responsible for practices. Because the departure of Linda Mason inside January, which position has become effectively non-existent. Al Ortiz, whom changed Mason, wasn't provided the same editorial control. He wasn't consulted for the program’s package about Benghazi, sources mentioned.

Kevin Tedesco, the spokesperson for “60 Minutes,” declined POLITICO’s request for an interview in regards to the mistake plus both Tedesco plus Sonya McNair, the senior vice president for communications at CBS News, declined to state whenever the network learned regarding the FBI account.

Read more about: , ,





Also in News

WATCH: Press Briefing with Press Secretary Sean Spicer (March 7, 2017)
WATCH: Press Briefing with Press Secretary Sean Spicer (March 7, 2017)

March 07, 2017 0 Comments

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer briefs the press from the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room Monday afternoon.

Continue Reading →

READ: Republicans Unveil The New Obamacare Replacement Bill
READ: Republicans Unveil The New Obamacare Replacement Bill

March 06, 2017 0 Comments

You can read the read the entire replacement to the Affordable Cara Act below

Continue Reading →

VIDEO: Crying MSNBC Host Tells Viewers: 'We are all really nervous'...
VIDEO: Crying MSNBC Host Tells Viewers: 'We are all really nervous'...

March 06, 2017 0 Comments

President Donald Trump caused MSNBC host Mika Brzezinski to have a tearful breakdown on "Morning Joe".

Continue Reading →